I've recently been curious about trying to make my own body and face lotions. I used to buy Desert Essence organic coconut face and body lotion but I would run out pretty quickly. Having said that I do really like it and do recommend trying it out, you can get it at Blush Lane Organic Market or in the organic section at Superstore.
I prefer using organic lotion because many non organic lotions have chemicals, alcohols and things in them that you can't pronounce. I definitely don't want to put that on my skin... my body's largest organ. Also I find it lasts a lot longer if you make your own so you can save money which is also lovely.
I bought the organic shea butter online from Amazon and most of the other items I buy at a local store called Pure Health located on 124 St in Edmonton. They have a 20% off sale every 3rd Tuesday of the month!
ORGANIC BODY LOTION
- 1/4 cup beeswax
- 1/4 cup organic almond oil
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 1 tsp professional grade organic vitamin E oil
- 2 tbsp organic shea butter
- 2 tbsp organic almond oil
- essential oil of your choice I like to use lavender
1. Pour all ingredients together in a container that can be used in a double boiler like a mason jar.
2. Fill a pot with a few inches of water depending on how large you mason jar is. We will boil the water so make sure it's not too high.
3. As the ingredients start to melt start mixing together with a chop stick or skewer stick.
6. If you see the mixture separating use hand blender and blend until it's starting to solidify.
Above shows how I make my lotions at home, it's super easy. The lotion recipe above is good to use for your face as well. It is a tad on the oily side (which I like), but you can add slightly more beeswax to make it less oily if you like. Also another easy lotion to make is with 1/2 cup of organic shea butter with 2 tbsp of organic olive oil and essential oil of your liking for smell.
These make for good little gifts as shown below. I will be giving these out to my friends and family to try, but let me know what you think of this lotion in the comments down below, I'd love to hear if you tried this out!